Miyerkules, Mayo 15, 2013

"Understanding 'I am'"



"I am a stag:of seven times,
I am a flood: across a plain,
I am a wind: on a deep lake,
I am a tear: the Sun lets fall,
I am a hawk: above the cliff,
I am a thorn: beneath the nail,
I am a wonder:among flowers

I am water, I am a wren,
I am a workman, I am a star,
I am a serpent,
I am a cell, I am a chink,
I am a depository song.

                                             from Wales and Ireland
                                             before civilization came.

This poem I read from the Frank and Wagnalls New Encyclopedia Vol. 1, page 16, preceded by the "Mind Before Civilization" essay on the next page, uses repetition which is a "basic unifying device in poetry". 

I have read that repetition is done by the poet in this poem to multiply his substance as a poet. He/She uses this device to unite himself with the things that are stated in this poem. This way, the poet comes to a certain fullness of words which every poet wants to happen to each and every write up that he/she produces. He/she wants to be one with things that he/she writes,  things that he/she is writing about, and he/she wants to be able to freely communicate with all the odds and with the people that he/she is writing to. 

So, as the article speaks about people's minds before civilization, we can conclude that people by those times were looking for a meaning in every thing that exists in the vast expanse of this world. 

As weird as it might seem for you readers and fellow bloggers to think that a seventeen year old girl like me reads this stuff, well, all I can say is that there are things that we become informed with through knowledge that we may or may not transform into wisdom. The choice is all ours. We, readers, make an explicit world in our minds while we read. We, writers, formulate the ideas for the worlds that readers' minds create. 

HAVE A WONDERFUL WORLD OF WORDS! :)

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento